Foam (especially memory foam) mattresses are everywhere these days. They seem to be what everyone wants to get a good night’s sleep. However, they didn’t get their popularity overnight, and they’ve been around for a while. The question still stands, though; why are foam mattresses so popular?
Good quality memory foam mattresses distribute body weight evenly, like having millions of little springs supporting you. Because of this, pressure points are significantly reduced, up to a whopping 80%, which only memory foam can provide.
Tossing and turning is the leading cause of a poor night’s sleep, which can be drastically reduced by a memory foam Mattress. Other benefits to using memory foam mattresses are:
- Pressure Distribution: It relieves pressure better than any other type of mattress.
- No Motion Transfer: No bounce or jiggle means no transfer of movement or waking up your partner when the need to run to the bathroom arises.
- Hypoallergenic: A solid block of foam means dust mites can only live on the surface and not inside.
However, there is also a downside to every type of mattress, even ones made from memory foam:
- Price: The best foam mattresses can be expensive, depending on the quality and brand name. Cost is directly associated with quality because the materials are costly, not the labor.
- Temperature: Most memory foams rely on your body temperature to be able to contour to you, and the problem arises with the lack of airflow through traditional memory foam mattresses — so you may wake up a sweaty mess.
- Smell: Some memory foam mattresses are made with poor quality foams and may have an unpleasant or even pungent smell when new.
Memory Foam Highlights:
- Comfort Like No Other: Memory foam mattresses can be firm and supple. Since a memory foam bed distributes your weight evenly, a firm memory foam Mattress should still give you the firmness you need without compromising your back, hips, and joints.
- Reacts To Your Body: Memory foam mattresses become more supple with body heat, which ensures the cradling support your body needs. So when it comes to memory foam, you won’t find something firm enough for your tastes if you enjoy sleeping on the floor.
Because of these reasons and more, memory foam mattresses continue to be popular among consumers, not just for anyone wanting a good night’s sleep but more specifically for those suffering from back, hip, or joint pain. All in all, the positive results from using memory foam mattresses outweigh the negatives that come with it.
While the price and smell that comes with it may be a bit hard to take at first, it’s long term lifespan as well as the excellent benefits for our body and health (since they are hypoallergenic and made from natural materials) is a much bigger payoff. It’s no wonder that we love foam mattresses so much — no need to wonder anymore, you have all the information you need to hunt down the perfect foam mattress for you.