We found many people asking the question: why is doTERRA so expensive? Well, let’s get right down to business.
DoTERRA essential oils are sourced from around the world and carefully tested to have the correct chemical compounds. They are certified not to have anything added to them. Meanwhile, other companies get away with saying they offer pure oils by adding inferior quality oils with the more expensive ones so they can still be classified as “pure.”
Another reason why doTERRA is more expensive is that their oils are much stronger and more effective. Many of their oils have been tested to be taken internally, which contributes to why they are one of the world’s largest distributors of oils.
Most distributors of essential oils buy them from a middleman, meaning they have no control over the quality of the product. Plus, there’s the critical issue of where the plants are grown. DoTERRA makes it a point to create a unique difference compared to everyone else — the company does a chemical analysis on every location around the world, to make sure their plants are traditionally grown on soil that has the best chemical compounds.
The plants are then nurtured by growers who are experts in the field and have been doing their job for years. To meet their high CTPG standards, doTERRA does chemical analysis on every batch of soil they intend to use. None of these processes is cheap, but it does give them very high quality and consistent product with nothing added to it.
This also means that many of their oils are safe to take internally. Other companies can’t promise this because of the fillers in their products — which may be filled with chemicals that they don’t want their customers ingesting.
Many things go into the price of the oil in the bottle, including:
- The actual essential oil – whether they bought it from a wholesaler or direct from a farmer
- Transportation, bottling, storage, shipping, and other costs
- The location of where the oil is from – vetiver plants are grown in Haiti and Indonesia, which can cost more to produce
- Third-party testing
- Company overhead
- Marketing – Amazon fees (which have a minimum of 15%), advertising, distributor costs as well as promotions
- Education – with doTERRA, you can have access to many educational sources from the company online, at conventions and special events around the world.
- DoTERRA has also built a giving culture, with many Wellness Advocates giving help to anyone interested.
On the other hand, other companies can achieve low prices on their oils by cutting costs by doing the following:
- Adding fillers or chemicals and diluting them in the actual essential oil, making them unsafe.
- They may get plants from a less desirable location to make their oils.
- They don’t get independent third-party testing on every batch of essential oils.
- They are a startup company and can afford to have a small overhead for a short time.
- This also means that they don’t have enough people to ensure that their oils are of the best quality.
- Not having a good return policy like doTERRA’s return policy.
In the end, doTERRA has expensive products because of their extremely high standards that demand only the best essential oils. So to get the purest oils, they are the company to beat, which others can’t compete with. While others cut corners to give cheap oils, doTERRA keeps their products 100% honest, which is the kind of essential oil our homes need.