The Roomba 980 is one of iRobot’s flagship models right now. With the recent release of the Roomba i7 to the market, the prices of the 980 have gone down significantly since it was first introduced. If you don’t want to spend over $900 for the top-of-the-line i7, then the 980 is a great option.
And to make things even better, iRobot has upgraded the new Roomba 980 with better navigation and batteries that boost the performance of this already great smart robot.
The Roomba 980 now comes with a newer Lithium-Ion battery that’ll last longer against the NiCad battery. When fully charged, the Lithium-Ion battery will give roughly 2 hours of run time. Because of this upgrade, not only will it last longer, but it will also run longer. With a more efficient and predictable cleaning pattern, this robot should be able to clean around 120 square feet.
Also, this robot doesn’t come with a remote. In its place is WiFi connectivity and app, so you’ll be able to use it to control the robot remotely. That means you’ll have access to this robot even when you’re not at home.
Here’s a quick look at the other features of the Roomba 980:
- Instead of using a random cleaning pattern, the 980 uses a more predictable bird-like pattern similar to other brands.
- It comes with an app that lets you schedule and controls your robot vacuum from anywhere using your phone.
- Newer Lithium-Ion batteries that will run for 2 hours and give you a much better cleaning endurance
- Has cliff sensors (which have also been used in the old Roombas)
- After the battery runs out, it will automatically return to its charging station to recharge and continue where it last cleaned.
- Uses a more predictable and efficient back and forth cleaning pattern.
- WiFi connectivity ditches the remote control
- The Lithium-Ion will have a longer service life compared to the old NiCad batteries equipped in the Roomba 800 and 700 series.
- Lighthouses aren’t as bulky and use cheaper AA batteries.
- Has HEPA filtration.
In short, the iRobot Roomba 980 has new and improved features that make it an outstanding cleaning product. Apart from all its latest upgrades, it makes use of a much better battery that allows it to clean non-stop for 2 hours. So if you’re worried that it won’t have enough juice to clean your whole home, don’t be, because the Roomba 980 has every inch covered.