Any pet owner would want their pet to be safe and healthy every day. And when the unexpected happens, we want to be prepared, so that our fur babies can keep playing and being their best. Many companies now offer different types of insurance for your pets which can help cover the cost of veterinary bills for illnesses, treatments, accidents, and many more. Here, we discuss everything you need to know before getting insurance for your loving canine.
Benefits of Pet Insurance
Because of the significant developments in veterinary care and nutritional products, pets like dogs are enjoying a longer lifespan and quality time with their owners. Here are just some of the benefits of getting insurance for your dogs.
- It saves pet owners’ money from veterinary bills when their dogs are injured or ill.
- Focus on your dogs’ health rather than thinking about the costs of maintenance.
- Save money when you treat your dogs from costly procedures like cruciate ligament surgery, tick paralysis, cataract removal, spinal surgery, and many more.
- Some pet insurance companies actually cover the reward to the individual who finds your dog if it got lost or stolen.
- If your dog causes any injuries or damages to a third party, pet insurance will also help you cover the cost of it.
What Does Pet Insurance Cover
Here are some common coverages that you can think about before getting pet insurance.
- Accidents (like broken bones, swallowing small objects)
- Illnesses (not pre-existing)
- Dental issues: like red or bleeding gums, blood on chew toys, loose teeth, bad breath, bloody saliva, ropey.
- Cancer: Mast Cell Tumors, Melanoma, Lymphoma, Bone Cancer (Osteosarcoma), Hemangiosarcoma.
- Choosing your licensed veterinarian
Choosing the right coverage for your pet insurance is important. Keep in mind that there are companies that offer personalized policies for your pets. Be sure to do your research on your preferred pet insurance company before making a decision.
How Much Will You Pay For Pet Insurance
Avoid buying a cheap pet insurance policy that doesn’t cover your dog’s needs. Ask yourself questions such as: does it come with wellness plans, or with medical, or does it offer complete care? Evaluating your fur baby’s needs will lead you to the proper insurance company and their corresponding costs.
It’s very important to know what’s best for your pets. Also, it’s recommended to get pet insurance when they’re young and healthy so they can enjoy the full insurance coverage. Just as how human health insurance works, premiums of pet insurance can increase depending on the age of your pup.
Always ask for any available discounts for your premium when getting pet insurance. Many companies offer a 2-5% discount to pet owners with 2-3 pets and 7-10% to those pet owners with 4 or more. In addition, if you have existing policies like home, auto, and workers’ compensation, you can ask them if they have pet insurance. Some companies could give an additional 5% discount when you already have existing policies with them.
As pet owners, we just want to protect our precious dogs by choosing the best pet insurance for them. By doing thorough research and by responsibly choosing the proper insurance for beloved dogs, we can help them towards a happier and healthier life.